Saturday, August 15, 2009

Library Proposes Operating Levy

What is the library levy and when will it be on the ballot?

The library is proposing a 1-mill operating levy for 5 years to be on the November 3rd ballot.

How much will the levy cost?

The levy will cost $2.91 per month for the owner of a home valued at $100,00.00.

How will the levy funds be used by the libraries?

The levy funds will be used to restore hours and services at the Pike County libraries. The Piketon, Eastern, and Western Libraries will be able to resume six-day-per-week service and lost morning and evening hours will be restored the at the Waverly Library. In addition, we'll increase the ability to purchase books and other library materials by 75%.

Doesn't the library already have an operating levy?

No. In its 70 year history, the library has never sought local support to operate its Waverly, Piketon, Eastern, or Western libraries.

Doesn't the library receive money from the J.B. and Garnet Wilson Trust?

No. The library has never received any money from the Trust. The Wilsons left their trust to support college scholarships.

If the library receives no money from the Trust, why is it called the Garnet A. Wilson Public Library of Pike County?

The library accepted its Waverly building from the late J.B. Wilson, with the stipulation that it be named in honor of his wife, Garnet.

What will the library use the levy monies for?

The funds will help to give financial stability to the library, as well as enable us to add thousands of best-selling books, DVDs, audiobooks, and more to our collection. It will also restore lost hours of operation at all our libraries and allow each library to be open to the public 6 days per week. In addition, the funds will improve internet and computer access at all our libraries.

Thursday, August 13, 2009

New Hours Start on August 17th

The Pike County Library currently receives 93% of its funding from the State of Ohio through the Public Library (PLF). The remaining 7% comes from donations, fines and fees, interest, and other miscellaneous revenue sources.

But with state revenue projected to be down 20% in 2009, and with a further 11% cut to the PLF over the next two years, Pike County's public libraries will lose 31% of their funding.

These reductions and funding cuts have forced your public library to reduce hours of operation, lay off employees and make drastic cuts to book and library materials purchases.

Beginning on August 17th, the new hours will be:


Monday 10:00 am--8:00 pm
Tuesday 10:00 am--8:00 pm
Wednesday 10:00 am--6:00 pm
Thursday 10:00 am--6:00 pm
Friday 9:00 am--5:00 pm
Saturday 9:00 am--5:00 pm


Tuesday 12:00 pm--8:00 pm
Wednesday 12:00 pm--6:00 pm
Thursday 12:00 pm--6:00 pm
Friday 12:00 pm--5:00 pm


Monday--12:00 pm--8:00 pm
Wednesday 12:00 pm--6:00 pm
Thursday 12:00 pm--6:00 pm
Friday 12:00 pm--5:00 pm


Monday--12:00 pm--8:00 pm
Tuesday 12:00 pm--6:00 pm
Wednesday CLOSED
Thursday 12:00 pm--6:00 pm
Friday 12:00 pm--5:00 pm

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Bob Evans Community Fun Night

To Support the
Garnet A. Wilson Public Library
Tuesday, August 18th
5:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m.
We will earn 15% of sales when you carry out or dine in at

50 Morningside Drive
Waverly, Ohio
Flier must accompany check for donation to be counted.
Fliers available at all Library locations.

Monday, August 10, 2009

Accomplishments in 2008 - The Numbers

  • In 2008, library users checked out 214,795 items from our libraries. That's an average of 8 items per Pike County resident!
  • There were 165,000+ visits to our libraries in 2008, up nearly 50,000 from 2007.
  • Over 115,000 items are held at the four Pike County library locations.
  • Nearly 4,000 audio books are held at the libraries.
  • There were 25,551 active library card holders at the end of the year, which represents almost 90% of the county's population.
  • Over 4,000 children attended 427 programs at the libraries.
  • Over 7,400 people attended 749 library programs.
  • Over 88,000 questions were answered at our reference desks.
  • The libraries saw nearly 2,000 internet and computer sessions per week. That's over 100,000 sessions per year!